Previously I wrote a post about prayer from this book. As you can see it is rather old and worn, but I am so thankful that I came across this little jewel. If you would like a copy I recently saw the 50th year anniversary addition at Lifeway. This small but powerful book has obviously stood the test of time along with one of the great Pastors of our day, Dr. John Bisagno. Two times I have had the privilege of sitting under his preaching as he served my Church, Colonial Heights Baptist Church, as our interim Pastor.
I mentioned in my previous post from this book that at a later date I may post the lessons that I taught my Lifegroup class. We spent 11 weeks reading this book together and seeing what God has to say about prayer. We will continue our study by starting The Armor of God study by Priscilla Shirer. You see, prayer is the much forgotten 7th piece of God’s Armor. God impressed on my heart that this was the next step for us and then in several weeks we will have a prayer retreat. We are all looking forward to it!
Prayer is such an underused privilege and weapon that the Believer has. We simply can not mess up if we will pray the Word of God. His Word is The Truth and to pray it means we are praying His Will. So ladies, let’s begin our study on prayer!
Answered prayer is NOT abnormal, it is normal!
INTRO Into Our “The Power of Positive Prayer” Series
To begin with I am simply going to list the points that Dr. Bisagno shared with us and I will expound on them with some lessons God taught me.
- The first question Dr. Bisagno asked is why are we surprised when God answers our prayers? I had never really thought of it that way but it is so true. We sometimes even act shocked when the answer comes.
- Why do we pray prayers that aren’t specific or faith centered? You know those prayers, “bless me, bless Susan, etc…..” These are such powerless prayers. I believe God hears them, I really do, it is just that He has given us so much more to petition Him with.
- Our prayers, Dr. Bisagno says are too general to bring the specific answer that we need. Again, the prayer should be specific to the need and the place to find it is His Word.
- Answered prayer is NOT a miracle, it is a LAW! I want to say this again ladies, answered prayer is not a miracle! When we are obedient, we can expect God to answer our prayers.
- Prayer changes us so that our prayers are consistent for God to do what He wants to do. My opinion here is that God is going to do what He is going to do, HE alone is God and His way is perfect. So why pray you may be thinking? Because we get to be a part of what He is going to do! We get to be a part of praying His Will. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. God does not need us, He wants us to participate with Him!
- We need to meet the conditions found in The Word, pray and expect. Like me, you may struggle with the concept of “expecting” anything from God, but we are supposed to. It is our birthright, we are His heirs. (Romans 8:17)
- Answered prayer is NOT abnormal either. It is normal, the problem is that we aren’t used to it because we have been duped into thinking our prayers don’t matter. Answered prayer can be an everyday experience for us. ( as a matter of fact, just this very day I prayed with someone only later to get the news that things were better, there was peace!!) Ladies, this is what I am talking about! Can I let you in on a little secret? I spoke “shalom” over this person and in the area around them. Shalom is a beautiful Hebrew word and it means peace. The Holy Spirit prompted me to do this and I was obedient. So you see, I prayed what the Spirit led me to pray, I spoke out what God’s Word says is ours. So I should not in any way be surprised that the latest report was one of peace. But I was……I gotta get used to this new “normal”.
Ladies, as we go through this series, we will understand how to pray His Will and why we can expect answers. We will learn ways of effective prayer. We will learn how to pray for ourselves and for others. We will dig deeper into the Word and claim it for ourselves.
I am praying for you and I ask that you pray for me……as the Spirit leads.